Connect with us

News

Ken Starr to POTA TV: Court Packing ‘a Bad Idea,’ Biden ‘No FDR’

Published

on

Former judge Ken Starr told Power Of The American TV on Monday that President Joe Biden’s creation of a commission that will explore expanding the U.S. Supreme Court is “a bad idea,” adding that Biden “is no” former President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The White House announced Friday that Biden would sign an executive order creating a bipartisan commission “to provide an analysis of the principal arguments in the contemporary public debate for and against Supreme Court reform, including an appraisal of the merits and legality of particular reform proposals,” and “the membership and size of the Court.”

The move comes as some Democrats push Biden to expand the number of seats on the Supreme Court, a decision that Starr says would be a mistake.

Starr told “John Bachman Now” that packing the court “was a bad idea, 80+ years ago when FDR came at it. And believe me, I didn’t know FDR, but Joe Biden is no FDR.”

He added, “FDR was coming off this colossal win, just tremendous victory, and the polls, and reelected president, right, and he couldn’t get to first base. His own party said, ‘Mr. President, with all due respect, it’s a bad idea.’ It was a profoundly bad idea then because he was very results-oriented. That’s all he cared about.”

Starr said that the “People who are pushing this just care about results. The court, whether you agree with a particular decision it’s operating efficiently, effectively, with a very high degree of professionalism, there’s nothing that’s broke.

He added later that associate justice Amy Coney Barrett could “be on the court until 2048,” or later, “so this is their nightmare of very brilliant young judges at every level, including now at the Supreme Court of the United States with the three appointees of [former] President [Donald] Trump means that they don’t have control, right.

“This is all about power. Who is in control? So they won ever so narrowly the United States Senate, which was the great great hope that we would have some balance in the national government. They don’t have that, but they’re very greedy for power. This is as simple as that, it’s all about power, trying to get control of it and guess what, they have an independent judiciary. That’s article three of the Constitution and they can’t change that by this commission.”

Starr went on to say, “This is a mischievous idea, and we shouldn’t just be so cavalier in saying it can’t happen. It could happen, so we’ve got to be prepared with very strong arguments, including the argument of history … that this just should not go forward.” 

Note: See Power Of The American TV now carried in more than 100 million U.S. homes, on DirecTV Ch. 349, Dish Network Ch. 216, Xfinity Ch. 1115, Spectrum, U-verse Ch. 1220, FiOS Ch. 615, Frontier Ch. 115, Optimum Ch. 102, Cox cable, Suddenlink Ch. 102, Mediacom Ch. 277, AT&T TV Ch 349, and major OTT platforms like Roku, Youtube, Xumo, Pluto and most smart TV’s including Samsung+, Sony, LG, Vizion and more – Find All Systems that Carry Power Of The American – Click Here

News

DeSantis: Unemployed Floridians Will Have to Start Looking for Work

Published

on

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is set to reinstate a requirement for those receiving unemployment benefits in the state to prove they’re looking for work.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, DeSantis a Republican said those claiming benefits will likely have to start showing proof they looked for work when an executive order waiving a job-search requirement ends on May 29.

Without the waiver, the state required people receiving benefits to reach out to five prospective employers each week, the newspaper said.

“We suspended that (requirement) last year at this time because, quite frankly, there weren’t jobs,” DeSantis said on Wednesday.

“I think now we’re in just a different situation, you have a surplus of jobs, particularly in restaurant, lodging, hospitality, that people want to hire. I mean, you see the signs all over the place. Look, that’s a good problem to have. But we also just want to make sure, like, look, if you’re really unemployed, can’t get a job, that’s one thing. But making sure that you’re doing your due diligence to look for work, and making sure those incentives align, better.”

And WTSP in Tampa quoted the governor as saying: “Normally when you’re getting unemployment, the whole idea is that it’s temporary and you need to be looking for work in order to be able to get off of unemployment and obviously work because that’s what we want everyone to do. Well, when COVID hit, it was a disaster, so we suspended those job search requirements.

“We absolutely could put more people to work, the demand is there, businesses want to hire more people and I think we’ll be able to go in that direction very soon.”

The Times noted that Florida’s unemployment rate was 4.7% in March compared to 13.8% in April 2020 when the pandemic forced many business to close.

Under President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion rescue package the government is supplementing weekly jobless benefits by $300 a week. The figure is in addition to the average state unemployment payment of about $340.

Larry Kudlow, who served as a top economic adviser under former President Donald Trump, has said that Biden’s economic relief package discourages some people from trying to find work.

During an interview on Fox News, Kudlow maintained a lot of economists on both side of the aisle believe “the more unemployment insurance you poke out, the more unemployment you’re going to have. And, secondly, the longer the unemployment insurance lasts, then the longer unemployment is going to last.”

And Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., wants to know what the Labor Department is doing to combat and detect fraud and abuse of enhanced federal unemployment benefits.

He made his request in a Wednesday letter to Larry Turner, acting inspector general for the Labor Department.

Continue Reading

News

Biden Leaves Word ‘God’ Out of National Day of Prayer

Published

on

The White House issued a proclamation on the National Day of Prayer, but President Joe Biden left out “God.”

Fox News noted the glaring omission of any reference to God in Biden’s prepared remarks.

The administration of former President Barack Obama mentioned “God” in the proclamation on the National Day of Prayer, Fox News reported.

Biden references Americans’ “many religions and belief systems” and the “power of prayer.”

“Throughout our history, Americans of many religions and belief systems have turned to prayer for strength, hope, and guidance,” Biden’s proclamation began. “Prayer has nourished countless souls and powered moral movements — including essential fights against racial injustice, child labor and infringement on the rights of disabled Americans. Prayer is also a daily practice for many, whether it is to ask for help or strength, or to give thanks over blessings bestowed.”

It was noted by Fox News that Biden used God in his in-person remarks, crediting the vaccine development “by the grace of God.”

Former President Trump mentioned “God” 5 times in 2017, 5 times in 2018, 7 times in 2019, and 11 times in 2020, while Obama referenced God twice in his 2011 proclamation, Fox News reported.

“Let us pray for the police officers, firefighters and other first responders who put themselves in harm’s way every day to protect their fellow citizens,” Obama said in 2011, according to Fox News. “And let us ask God for the sustenance and guidance for all of us to meet the great challenges we face as a Nation.

“I invite all citizens of our Nation, as their own faith or conscience directs them, to join me in giving thanks for the many blessings we enjoy, and I ask all people of faith to join me in asking God for guidance, mercy and protection for our Nation,” Obama said.

The National Day of Prayer has traditionally been the first Thursday in May.

Continue Reading

News

Trump Blasts Facebook, Twitter, Google Actions as ‘Total Disgrace’

Published

on

Former President Donald Trump fired back at the world’s social media giants Wednesday, after Facebook’s Oversight Board upheld the site’s decision to suspend his account.

Trump said the actions of Facebook, Twitter and Google are a “total disgrace” and the tech companies should pay a political price.

“What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country,” Trump said in a statement accusing the companies of violating his free speech rights.

“Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before. The People of our Country will not stand for it!

“These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process.”

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our newsletter

Recent Posts

Trending

Copyright © 2020 - Power Of The Americans